| August 7, 2017: Meeth History Snippets
The Domesday Book 1086/1087 gives these place names:-Meda; Meeth, Estochelia;Stockleigh Barton, Hiwis;Huish, Torilande;Gt. Torrington, Adrelie, Hatherleigh, Ochementone;Okehampton
In 1259 the Rector is named as Vilbert de Wiltone. In 1349 and again in 1360 the Rectors died from the Black Death. Meeth is recorded as having 3 Bartons –William Crocker held Crockershele in Edward IIs reign Matthew Giffard held Giffardshele in Edward IIIs reign and in 1630 Elizabeth Frye held Fryeshele together with husband Parker of North Molton. (Family name Fryer 1228, Freye 1550)
thus Friars Hele is not connected with friars.
In 1868 Meeth had 2 Manors, those of Meeth and Fryes Hele. Lord of the Manor of Fryes Hele was John Parker, Earl of Morley, whose family seat was Saltram House.
Lord of the Manor of Meeth was Richard Preston esq, M.P. In 1912 both manors were sold in auction lots on the instruction of Robert Preston Preston-Whyte.
More next month.